Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cat boys are taking a blog break! Orwell saved the day! And it was all love!

Some years ago I was sitting at our local Pete's coffee shop and a lady brought a basket with two kittens in it. One had a pink bow and the other a blue. I had never had kittens growing up, only dogs. So I went over, checked out these fellows and thought, O my, they are irresistable!
Well, at the time we lived in an ugly apartment on a busy street and I was not sure if adopting a cat was such a good idea, so I talked myself out of it, and went back to my table. I was reading an article and had some sort of coffee or tea on my table. I got back to reading but kept an eye on the basket, the kittens, and the people who were stopping by and checking these kittens. I noticed from the distance that someone picked up one of the kittens. At that very moment I leapt out of my chair, went over to the woman and got the little boy kitten.
My husband was flying overseas or out of town that day. I just called him as he was on the way to airport to let him know that we now had a kitten. I took this little fellow home, to the ugly apartment which we used to call the Marengo Mansions, and that very night I discovered that the little dude was covered with fleas, OMG. So most of the evening I was washing and cleaning and trying to discover how to deal with so many fleas.
At night I did not let him into the bedroom because I was afraid the flea wash may not have been thorough. He stayed in the only living room of the apartment. Morning come, I looked out to check for him. He was cuddled on an ugly chair and seemed to be afraid of me. He ran over to our ugly sofa and instantly peed on this copy of Orwell paperback that was laying there and a calculator. Orwell saved me. Not a drop of pee got anywhere, just all soaked up by Orwell.
Anyhow, the story is long but I found some photos of this dude whom we had namedFugus, the sandkitten. Eventually we had to give him to my in-laws because the apartment complex would not let us keep Fugus. Fugus flew to Hastings, Nebraska and joined Filmore, a handsome and quite big grey Siamese.

This is baby Fugus who traveled to San Diego with me the day after being adopted. I got him a huge flea-necklace and took him to Starbucks.

Here he is drinking milk at Starbucks. Incidentally, I did not have a real camera then, only a cardsized instant thing, which should explain the lousy photo quality.

This is baby Fugus in our ugly apartment. He did not complain.

This is Fugus at our in-laws. He likes the big house. The furnished basement filled with toys is the cat condo. Boys sleep there at night.

And here is a grown up Fugus, loves the outdoors, the birds and the bunnies and everything else.

We loved this little fellow and boy was it difficult to part with him. He now has a great brother and a live-in vet.

Love gives life to the lifeless. Love lights a flame in the heart that is cold. Love brings hope to the hopeless and gladdens the hearts of the sorrowful.
In the world of existence there is indeed no greater power than the power of love. When the heart of man is aglow with the flame of love, he is ready to sacrifice all—even his life.
(Paris Talks)

Boys send all cat kisses and best wishes for a lovely Tuesday....

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment