Monday, March 2, 2009

And so begins the Baha'i Fast!


Today is the first day of the Baha'i fast, which will last 19 days. And, I am trying to observe it to the extent that I can. To most the idea of 'fasting' evokes strange thoughts. Do you fast because you have to see a doctor? Are you trying to lose weight? Oh, don't tell me, you are religious zealot, yikes! Well, I fast (at least try to fast), because it is a spiritual perscription just as is the saying of daily prayers.

Anyhow, some Christians observe the Lent, and some Muslims observe the Ramadan, and Baha'is observe the Fast from March 2nd to 21st of each year. We believe that saying of daily prayers and fasting, are not only important for our spirituality but also protect us from tests in life.

If you like to learn more about the Baha'i faith and the fast, please go to:
this

And, now I want to tell you something unrelated to fasting.

Yesterday, I went to a soap-making workshop from an urban survival expert, Pascal, and he served us a delicious green salad made entirely of different greens that he had collected on the hills surrounding his apartment. Of course he did use lemon juice and avocado for dressing. Well, not only I did not die from eating it but I found it totally delicious.

I will tell you more on this topic later but I must leave now.

Have a wonderful day, and fast.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment